All images © 2008-2019 Cyril Souchon (All rights reserved) unless expressly noted otherwise

Monday, March 11, 2019

Being Professional: a Manifesto

Integrating the concept of professionalism into your working life.
This is a faithful photographic reproduction of a portion of a two-dimensional, public domain work of art. The work of art itself is in the public domain because the work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 100 years or lessif I wish to be a Professional,
I must behave in a Professional way:
  • towards my work discipline, 
  • towards my colleagues and competitors, 
  • within my community,
  • in my social and family circle.

It's all encompassing, because it comes down to the values and the behaviours we exhibit towards our Professional Aspirations. So below I offer you two things:
  • A set of four Aspirational Values to live your life by and briefly what that means (see part 1 and part 2 for elaboration)
  • A complimentary set of Behaviours to practice which align to the values.
It's stated as a Manifesto, a Manifesto of Professionalism, if you will.

 

****

I am a Professional if

  1. I make a Life Time Commitment to Learning (a personal undertaking to the discipline I work in and a commitment to continually keep myself up to standard independently of my employers)
  2. I encourage and work towards Professional Autonomy in my discipline (Belonging to a community that sets and maintains the standards that encourages the community we serve to place its trust in us - including codes of conduct, process and framework standards, etc.)
  3. I am driven by a Personal Ethic and Morality (Work is driven by Personal behaviour towards our stakeholders internal and external, acting out the ethic in an unbiased way)
  4. I Have Goals that are Distinctive and close coupled to my roles in the Services I am a part of (For all of us, there must be a clear understanding of our role in the process, how we add value, how we lose value and what we must do to maintain and improve it)

As a Professional, I undertake always to:

  • Keep pushing the boundaries of knowledge in my disciplines (value 1);
  • Set, challenge and conform to the standards by which the community judges the work done in the work place and discipline (value 2);
  • Behave in a manner that ensures everyone who works with them and with me is in a safe space (value 3); and
  • Always know and can articulate how Value arises out of our actual work, thus incorporating the first 3 steps into a valuable working life (value 4)

This is part 3 of the series.
the image is in the public domain & taken from the Wikimedia Commons page "Oath of the Horatii "

No comments: